Listen Live

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Cats/Cards

 

 Two days from the 34th modern meeting of the Cats and Cards (beginning with the Elite Eight OT classic in 1983), and I'm not feeling a grand confidence in a UK victory. While the Cats lead this modern rendition of the series 22-11, and Coach Cal is 4-0 against Rick Pitino at UK, a hostile road game in the Yum Center against a hungry and defensively intense U of L team will likely be too tall an order for a young team that is struggling to congeal.

   My guess is that Harrow and Goodwin try to force too much, Poythress goes passive, and Noel gets buttocked out of the paint. I'll call it 68-57 Cards. As I've been saying for some time, this UK team is no lock for the NCAA tournament, and an ugly loss will make that road even tougher. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

   My one source of optimism is that all the pressure is on Pitino and the Cards in this one. They are expected to win, and deep down must know that this is their best chance to take one against Cal's Cats; and with the Harrison twins and (please) possibly Andrew Wiggins next year, any momentum they grab in this series will be short-lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment